It feels like there’s no way around stress – everyone I know has it in some form, and motherhood is pretty much synonymous with stress (which some experts say is actually fear).
I don’t think stress can be eradicated – I guess it can be “managed” or tempered, and I quite like these tips from Baby-Soft, who have partnered with Radox (think stress-relieving bubble baths). Each packet of Baby-Soft toilet paper has a discount voucher for a bottle of Radox foam bath, entitling you to R5, R11 or R19 off with your next purchase.
Here are some great stress-management tips, courtesy Baby-Soft.
- Write down your worries or fears on one page. On another page form positive statements, based on your fear. For example:
Fear statement: I am worried about not having enough time to finish all my work
Turn-around-statement: I choose to see myself completing this task easily, quickly and in good time.
Keep a picture in your mind of yourself fulfilling your turn-around-statement.
Keep on repeating your turn-around-statement. Write it on a card and carry it around with you so that you can look at it during the day and have it as a constant reminder.
If you had a particularly difficult day, write down the details of what happened for 3 min, then tear up the paper and throw it away.
- When you come home, place your work bag or briefcase in a specific spot and only go to it again the next morning
- Reduce clutter by taking 5 – 10 minutes before going to bed and tidying up any mess or clothes dropped on the floor
- Make your ride home enjoyable and even valuable by listening to an audio book or lecture on your favourite subject
- Establish a ritual that is a daily action which marks the “official” start of your evening (such as sitting around the kitchen table, or putting on your favourite, comfortable item of clothing)
- Start physical exercise such as jogging, gym, yoga
- Have a fun night out with friends
- Unwind in a delightful relaxing bath
Feature image via Praiseindy.com