Sometimes after packing for and travelling with a baby or toddler, it feels like you need another holiday. I remember the lists and military operation-packing that went into any trip outside of Joburg with my son when he was a baby and toddler. I had everything from the breast pump and steriliser to the bath and prams (one for walking, and one for jogging). Then there were the toiletries, clothing, bedding and pharmaceuticals (just in case). And that’s before I got to my own clothes and toiletries.
After a while, I found my groove and confidence – the trick is to plan, plan and plan. And take plenty of wipes and snacks (read on to see how you can win 1 000 Johnson’s Baby Wipes, plus a hamper from the Gentle Protect range).
Here are some of my best tips for a smooth ride, whether by car or plane:
- Take enough food and drink for your baby and don’t forget some snacks and drinks for you too. Take enough in case there’s a flight delay, or traffic
- Dress baby in easy-on, easy-off clothes and add layers for warmth
- Take some baby pain medication just in case your child is in discomfort
- Take spare clothes and extra nappies in case of accidents, and a spare shirt for yourself
- Accept that road trips will take longer as you’ll need regular breaks
- Take a new toy plus a couple of favourite ones. Books are also good, and age-appropriate apps on your tablet or phone if your child is old enough to benefit from them
- Take two packs of wet wipes – one for the car, and one for your nappy bag. These are not only great for doing their job during nappy changes, but for wiping surfaces, hands, faces, cars and more. Seriously, more is more when it comes to wipes
- Pack some plastic bags – whether for rubbish, dirty laundry or utensils that need washing
- Your baby’s skin is vulnerable to sunlight so ensure you can provide shade in the car and at your destination. Don’t forget sunscreen
- Keep a lookout for travel-size products that are easy to pop into a nappy bag and will allow you to maintain your baby’s essential routines with a minimum of fuss.
Don’t forget to pack… recommended travel products
Johnson’s Baby Skincare Wipes: A must-have for any trip. They can also be used to wipe little faces, hands and spills. When you get to your destination you can even use them to remove your make up!
Johnson’s Baby Powder: Helps keep skin feeling cool and comfortable by absorbing surface moisture from the skin. It absorbs perspiration and creates a layer between skin surfaces and between skin and clothes, helping to reduce friction. It’s also great for removing sea sand!
Johnson’s Baby Top to Toe Wash: Designed to cleanse both hair and skin, so one product conveniently does the work of two.
Johnson’s Baby Aqueous Cream: Can be used as a cleanser or moisturiser by the whole family.
The Johnson’s Gentle Protect range helps keep germs at bay while being gentle on toddler’s skin so it’s perfect for travel.
To enter to win Johnson’s Baby Wipes and a hamper of the Gentle Protect range
Share your special travel tip, and you’ll be entered into the draw. Every tip counts as an entry, so it’s not a case of “best tip wins” – rather, we’d just love to learn your tips.
The giveaway closes on Friday 11 December at 9am, after which the winner will be announced on the Rattle and Mum Facebook page, and then emailed. Please note that this giveaway is open to South African residents only, and can’t be exchanged.