Work. Kids. School. Homework. Life. The juggle. The hustle. You're busy, and you probably don't always have the time to snack well, or, like me, you might turn to something sweet when you need a quick boost, or a treat, or a comfort, or a stress reliever (I clean my work canteen out of scones almost daily).
And while every dietitian will tell me to enjoy some fruit after a meal or during snacktime to take the sweet craving away, sometimes all I want is something more indulgent, but without adding to my thighs that I'm trying to slim down.
Enter USN's new Trust Bar, which USN calls the guilt-free indulgence.
Here's why I like it a lot so far, and why it's now in my handbag and cubbyhole (I mean, I get peckish every evening on William Nicol and the highway):
– It tastes amazing, and a lot better than most protein bars on shelf. There are three flavours: Vanilla Cupcake (my favourite), Peanut Butter and Chocolate Coconut.
– It has 3g sugar per bar, prebiotic fibre (good for the gut), and 22g quality protein. Since I'm a vegetarian, this is an excellent way for me to get in more protein, without taking in more nuts and cheese, which don't help my thighs.
– It's low in carbs – it has about 7%, which is less than in the average chocolate bar, which has up to 59% carbs
– Even a small piece feels like a treat and I don't have to finish the bar to feel satiated
– While some protein products on the body shelves in shops can feel intimidating as I don't know how to use them, or with what, or when, this bar is easy to "understand" – it's a snack bar that provides protein. It's not a meal replacement, but if you're stuck or busy, you could do worse than eating the Trust Bar as a meal (I have no doubt it's better than a scone at the canteen).
The delicious Trust Bar is available at DisChem (instore or online) for around R29.