There was almost a bun fight in my office recently when I put out a plate of toasted hot cross buns in traditional and choc chip variants.
Since I’m no fan of raisins in food, a choc chip hot cross bun from Albany was a highlight of my year. I mean, who wouldn’t want a chip of delicious chocolate over a raisin (yes yes, I know people who favour raisins over chocolate).
The D’Light buns are available in packs of six from supermarkets, and cost around R19.99 and are only on shelf until the beginning of May. They’re great for lunchboxes (for you and the kids) and are an easy treat if you’re having guests.
If you want to take it up a notch, here are some serving suggestions from Albany:
- Toast with butter and drizzle with honey
- Top with cheese and jam
- Spread with Black Cat peanut butter and All Gold jam, or a chocolate spread
- Spread with All Gold marmalade and Mascarpone
- Create cheesecake buns with cream cheese and berries
- Spread marshmallow fluff onto toasted buns to create instant “Smores”
- Create an ice cream sandwich with two toasted sides and your favourite flavoured ice cream
- Slice hot cross buns, and butter on each. Spread chocolate on the unbuttered side, sandwich together, and fry the toasties for a few minutes until gooey
- Use hot cross buns instead of bread for French toast
- Dip into caramel sauce
Images via Albany