Last year, before my interest in cars had developed, I got to drive the Ford Kuga for two weeks and I loved it. It was the first time I’d driven an SUV (sports utility vehicle) and driven from such a vantage point. At the time, I called it a yummy mummy car, and much as I hate that term these terms, if ever there was a car that could fit that description, the Kuga is that.
The new Ford Kuga has just been launched, and it’s not only for moms, but dads too, or anyone wanting a great utility vehicle that is safe and high-tech.
Along with some other bloggers, I got to drive the new Kuga from Cape Town airport to Arabella in Kleinmond, and I had my hair blown back (and that has nothing to do with the Cape southeaster).
My driving partner was the awesome Wisaal and I proved that while I can drive, my navigations skills are horrendous, despite Ford’s step-by-step, kilometre-by-kilometre directions, complete with pictures too.
So, a bit about the car that might appeal to moms/women/parents:
– It currently has the highest safety rating for an SUV
– It is fuel efficient (using what’s called the EcoBoost system)
– Some of the models have a hands-free boot: you just gentle kick it underneath, and it opens. All you need is the key in your pocket (this might sound frivolous, but it’s pretty cool if you’re carrying luggage, or groceries, or kids).
– It has rear parking sensors (it will tell you if you’re close to bumping into something)
– It has dual front, side and curtain airbags
– It has heated front seats
– It has remote keyless entry
– There are leather seats and a steering wheel (hello easy cleaning!)
– It comes with a service plan and roadside assistance
– It has an onboard GPS
– It operates with the SYNC system which comes with voice control, cellphone integration and emergency assistance
But the thing that blew me away was the Park Assist, which helps you into a parking space. What this means is that the Kuga parks for you – all you need to do is gently brake or accelerate. You don’t even need to use your hands.
The starting price for the new Ford Kuga is around R289 000.
Disclosure: This trip was paid for by Ford, but I was not paid to write this. All words and opinions are my own.
Images via Ford