In this week’s Sasko and Prestige best recipe series, Kim Muller, a Cape Town mom of a 3 ½ year old boy, and due with her next child in August, shares her family chocolate cake recipe. Says Kim: “This is my mom’s recipe that was handed down. I have been making it since I was in high school and it’s my go-to cake recipe for any occasion. I’ve even made cupcakes using this recipe! It makes a super moist and fluffy cake and everyone always compliments me on it.”
Kim’s tips: Try not to overmix the ingredients. When the eggs and sugar have a fluffy, creamy texture, mix the other ingredients in one by one but only until they’re incorporated. I usually grease my baking tins, layer with lunch wrap (wax wrap) and grease again.
3 extra large eggs
1½ cups sugar
4 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup fish oil
½ tsp salt
2 cups self-raising flour
4 tbs cocoa, dissolved in 1 cup lukewarm water
3 tsp baking powder
1. Cream the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the vanilla essence and mix.
3. Add the fish oil and salt and mix.
4. Sift the flour well and add to batter alternating with the cocoa water until fully incorporated.
5. Add the baking powder and mix. Try not to overmix the baking powder.
6. Pour the batter into 2 x 27cm greased oven tins and bake in a 180 oven for 40 – 45 minutes. Remove when time is up or when a toothpick comes out clean.
3 tsp vanilla essence
4 tbs cocoa
2 tsp milk
1 ½ cups icing sugar
1. Mix margarine, icing sugar, vanilla essence and cocoa
2. Add milk and depending on consistency add more milk or more icing sugar
For vanilla sponge, eliminate cocoa dissolved in water and add 1 cup milk.
Have a recipe?
Would you like to be featured here, along with your favourite recipe? If so, comment below, or email me here
For each recipe published, the contributor will receive an awesome Sasko and Prestige hamper worth R500. Each hamper comprises:
- Sasko Flour spatula/measuring cups/measuring spoons
- Mix of Sasko Flour Quick Treats and Flour
- Carrol Boyes cake lifter
- 6-piece Prestige bakeware set
About Sasko Flour
Sasko Flour is all about delicious baking and is a well-known and loved South African brand.
Sasko was the first flour in South Africa to be fortified with 4 B-vitamins and folic acid, and the wide range includes flours, cake mixes and more.
You can find them on Facebook here.
Prestige is a leading houseware brand that offers good-quality and well-priced kitchen tools and gadgets, bakeware and braai utensils.
For more info, head to their website here.