In this week’s Sasko and Prestige best family recipe series, Candi Terblanche, a blogger at Invisable Blog, who loves all things outdoors, plus food, baking and cake decorating.
Says Candi: “I’ve had several marshmallow tarts in the past few years, but they were all a little too sweet for me. I hit the jackpot at Aquila Safari Private Game Reserve where I had the most incredible, creamy and well-balanced marshmallow tart.
Since then, I’ve been on a quest to find a recipe that comes close to it. After searching high and low and making my own adjustments I finally came up with something pretty darn good, that even my father said it had to be on the Christmas pudding list from now on.
Not all ingredients are the same, so I would advise tasting the mixture before allowing the mixture to set as you might want to adjust the sweetness.
I find it tastes better the next day so where possible, try to make it the day before. If not, allow at least 2-3 hours to set.
1 pack of oat crunchie biscuits ( about 200g-250g)
3 tablespoons of full-fat margarine, melted
2.5 cups marshmallows, cut up into different sizes
half cup glazed cherries
500ml fresh ceam
1 cup double cream yoghurt
1 tin condensed milk
120ml fresh lemon juice
1 tin crushed pineapple
1. Crush or process the cookies until they’re crumbs, and keep 2 tablespoons aside. Add the melted but and pressed down into your desired dish – choose a deep dish, or alternatively use individual dishes
2. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form
3. In a separate bowl, combine the condensed milk and lemon juice and beat lightly until the mixture thickens
4. Fold the yoghurt into the condensed milk mixture
5. Fold the cherries, marshmallows and pineapple into the mixture
6. Gently fold in the whipped cream
7. Pour the mixture over the biscuit base and sprinkle with the remaining crumbs. Refrigerate until set.
Thanks to Sasko and Prestige for sponsoring this recipe series with hampers worth R500 each. Each hamper comprises:
- Sasko Flour spatula/measuring cups/measuring spoons
- Mix of Sasko Flour Quick Treats and Flour
- Carroll Boyes cake lifter
- 6-piece Prestige bakeware set
About Sasko Flour
Sasko Flour is all about delicious baking and is a well-known and loved South African brand.