Futurelife is calling it the next best thing since sliced bread, and it is pretty good. New Smart Bread is high in protein, low GI, GMO-free, and comes in white and brown variants. And don't panic if you or your kids prefer the white to the brown – it's still a good option with 19 amino acids,and 13 vitamins and four minerals. It's also a source of dietary fibre, and is high in omega-3s.
It's available in supermarkets for R12.99 (brown) and R14.99 (white), and Futurelife has suggested some interesting and tasty fillings for your or your kids' sandwiches. The best way to package your sarmies to avoid spilling and "soggy" patches? Get a segmented hard lunchbox, ensuring the sandwich doesn't squished, and place the juicy toppings in a separate segment to be added as needed.
Here are some lunchbox-pleaser recipes from Futurelife:
FUTURELIFE SMART BREAD WITH PEANUT BUTTER & STRAWBERRY JAM
- 15ml peanut butter
- 15ml strawberry jam
- 1 slice Futurelife Smart Bread
- Smother the peanut butter onto the slice of Futurelife Smart Bread.
- Top with the thick strawberry jam.
FUTURELIFE SMART BREAD RARE ROAST BEEF WITH PICKLES, MUSTARD MAYO & CRUNCHY LETTUCE
- 2 slices Futurelife Smart Bread
- 5g margarine/butter
- 15ml mayonnaise
- 5ml wholegrain mustard
- 100g thinly sliced rare roast beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 60g pickles, thinly sliced
- 20g lettuce
- Combine the mayonnaise and the mustard. Spread onto one of the slices of bread. Spread the other with the margarine/butter.
- Top one of the bread slice with the beef, season with salt and pepper.
- Top the beef with the pickles and lettuce. Finally top with the second slice of bread.
FUTURELIFE SMART BREAD FRENCH TOAST WITH HONEYED BANANAS
- 3 eggs
- 125ml milk
- 4 slices Futurelife Smart Bread
- 1ml vanilla essence
- 1 whole banana, sliced
- 30ml honey
- 60g butter or margarine
- 5ml icing sugar
- 1ml ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Place the slices of bread into a shallow dish and cover with the egg/milk mixture. Turn over after a few minutes to coat the other side of the slice.
- Heat half the butter or margarine in a frying pan, cook the bread slices on both sides until golden brown.
- Serve with the banana, honey and dust with icing sugar and cinnamon