One of the best things about blogging (and no, it's not just the "freebies"), is the learning. None of us start out knowing a great deal about nutrition, or carseat safety, or insurance, or the benefits of baby slings. But through working with brands, reading and listening to people smarter than us, we learn a lot.
Probably not enough to write a thesis or claim "expert" status, but enough to give you the reader some solid information, and hopefully make your lives a little easier, healthier and prettier.
I can honestly say that before partnering with Kärcher steam cleaners, all I knew about steam cleaning was that my dry cleaner offered it, and that it's a great way of cleaning carpets. Cue some steam-cleaning research, reading and chatting to the two people I know who use steam cleaners regularly, and I know a lot more. Not enough to get a degree, but enough to share some info with you, and partner more confidently with this leading brand.
So what is the deal with steam cleaning, what are the advantages, and why is it becoming a clean dream in homes overseas, and here?
What is steam cleaning?
Steam cleaning is a method of cleaning using vapourised water, ie steam, to clean a lot of types of surfaces in a home or factory setting. The steam is around 60C, and it weakens the bond between dirt and stains on various surfaces.
The powerful combination of pressure, speed and temperature can loosen dirt particles in hard-to-reach places. No chemicals are necessary as technically the heat does the job of cleaning. Steam cleaners come in various shapes and forms, and with various accessories.
To operate them, all you need to do is fill with water, and clean!
What are the main advantages of steam cleaning?
- The lack of chemicals used in the cleaning process is a huge benefit to those people who are sensitive or allergic to chemicals or are trying to reduce the toxicity levels of their homes, especially with children and pets around.
- It kills germs, bacteria and micro-organsims such as mould and dust mites. In fact, steam kills 99.99% of all bacteria.
- Hot steam vapour is a natural sanitising and deodorising agent without any chemical odour.
- Gets to hard-to-access places that otherwise might be left dirty.
- In the long term, steam cleaners can save you a lot of money because aside from the initial purchase, all you'll need is water and electricity, and no cleaners and detergents.
Where can steam cleaners be used?
- Carpets and floors
- Wall paper removal
- Unclogging drains
- Cleaning grout
- Windows, screens, sliding glass doors, mirrors
- Removing toxic dry cleaning solvent and other odours from clothes
PS: Look out in coming weeks as I'll be giving away some steam cleaners!