If you're too busy to eat in the morning, or if you battle to get your kids to eat healthily, if you have energy dips during the day, or even, if you, like me, love eating breakfast for dinner, then you'll want to know about Thrive breakfast cereal.
First off, it's high protein, so already it's got a lot a lot going for it. It's made with with pea protein, an easy-to-digest vegetable protein that contains the essential amino acid lysine. Lysine, which cannot be made in the body and is consumed through the diet, supports kids' growth and development of children and a healthy immune system.
Other things I like about Thrive:
– It's convenient, and comes in a box and individual sachets so that you can take them in your lunchbox, and if you travel
– It's easy to prepare – you can eat hot or cold milk, or hot or cold water. They can also be consumed as a shake, or as a smoothie with added fruit and yoghurt
– It's said to contain nine essential amino acids, as well as minerals, dietary fibre, proteins and antioxidants to meet the demands of an active lifestyle
– It's also high in fibre and contain vitamins and minerals which contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue. These include the B vitamins
– Its wheat- and soy-free
– It comes in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry flavours, so you can vary your meals, and there's enough for all palates
Thrive costs around R36.99 for a 500g box, R55.99 for a 750g box, and R4.99 per 50g sachet. It's available at leading retail outlets.
Below is a recipe for a delish and easy (yay for busy moms) mango and vanilla smoothie. You can add fruit to all the variants – for example berries or strawberries to the strawberry flavour, or bananas to the chocolate. I love vanilla as it's the most versatile, and different flavours can be added to it. Dietitians say this is a fantastic way of getting your children to eat fruit if they don't ordinarily eat them on their own.
I didn't add mango pieces to this as they weren't in season, but I added a handful of nuts, just for some crunch, which is s texture I like in smoothies. This smoothie serves two (though I kept half a smoothie in the fridge, and it was still good the next day).
Easy mango and vanilla smoothie
Blend the following ingredients, and enjoy!
- 5 tbsp Thrive vanilla high-protein multigrain cereal
- 1/3 cup vanilla yoghurt
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 cup mango juice
- ½ cup mango pieces (optional)